I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Friday, April 16, 2010

What I Think I Might Know For Sure....Maybe

Since I am still fairly new to the Blogosphere, I am taking advice from others on what to write. Some sweet friends said, "write what you know." So, as my own little homage to the Lady O and her magazine column, "What I Know For Sure," I bring you.... "What I Think I Might Know For Sure....Maybe." Here goes....

1. I know for sure that I can be having a lovely afternoon where my children are playing peacefully, Bowser is happily reading a magazine and I am getting something done, but as soon as the phone rings, all hell will break loose. It's like some kind of Pavlovian behavior. Phone call for Mommy = crying kids, needy husband, spilled milk, broken toys. And then, as if by magic, the instant I hang up the phone....all goes back to normal.

2. I know that some battles are just not worth fighting. When Luigi is kicking and screaming to wear his Thomas the Tank Engine pajama shirt for the 17th day in a row, does it really matter? Probably not. Will wearing that shirt make him happy? Yes. Will it hurt anyone? No. So, I let him. I'm sure other moms think that poor Luigi only has one outfit, but that is ok with me. Because if he is wearing his Thomas shirt, it makes doing the more important things (like washing face and hands or eating a good breakfast) easier.

3. I am pretty sure that I will never sleep through the night again. I thought I was finally done with waking up once Peach started sleeping all night. WRONG. If it isn't Peach, it is Mario having a nightmare or growing pains, or Luigi wanting to play at 3 a.m., or no one making any noise at all, which of course means something must be wrong. And from what I hear, it won't get much better. Because one of these days, they will be teenagers that go out with friends *gasp* without my supervision! And I'm pretty sure I will be wide awake every night until each one of them is home safe and sound in their beds. So, for now, I will just enjoy knowing that they are only a few steps away and I will continue trudging across the hall a few times each night to give a hug and tuck them in.

4. I know for absolutely sure that an ice cold beer at the end of a long, nap-less, tantrum-filled day makes it all better. Once the kids get in bed, I can pour myself a cold one and hang with my best friend, the television, and all is right with the world again.

5. Speaking of my BFF, here is something I am pretty darn sure about. Those crazy doctors that make up the American Academy of Pediatrics obviously do not have kids. No tv at all for children under 2??? Are they serious? Wait, please don't misunderstand. We most definitely put limits on our television time during the day. But, NONE at all? Apparently none of the pediatricians in the prestigious Academy have ever really wanted to try to get a quick shower before they have to go somewhere important (like Target) with 3 small children underfoot. They have also never tried to make dinner, do laundry, carry in groceries or take a potty break all by themselves with several small but merciless goblins always trying to "help." I'm just saying....pretty sure a little tv never killed anyone.

I would like to say that I know more than these few things, but really, I'm not that sure anymore. Ever since I had children, it seems that everything I knew about life was turned upside down. Sometimes I know one thing one day, and the next day it is totally obsolete and I am starting over again. (Potty training, anyone???) Then again, when it comes to children, is anything ever for sure? Probably not. So, I will keep learning right along with my little goombas--just don't tell them! After all, if I knew everything for absolutely sure, where would the fun in life be?

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment