I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Birthday Fun

At the request of Uncle Corelone--who you NEVER turn down a request from--here is a little tidbit about celebrating the Papa's 60th birthday...

A couple of weeks ago, I got to fly on an airplane, by myself, to see my dad, by myself, for his 60th birthday party, by myself.  Did I mention that there were no Goombas with me and that I was BY MYSELF???  Oh, ok then.  Just so we are clear on that. 


I arrived Friday afternoon and got to spend some awesome quality time with the Zaz and the Pop.  That doesn't happen very often anymore, so it was really very nice.  A bit later, Uncle Corleone came with my cousin Lil' Corleone.  As I am the oldest (by far, ugh) of all my cousins, it was so great to get to spend some time with a teenager and do all kinds of fun girlie stuff.  Also, with the Corleones, my brother, Don Juan and his new girlfriend came.  Just for the sake of keeping track of who belongs with whom, let's call her Ms. Juan. 

Since it was unseasonably warm for mid-November, we spent Friday evening sitting out on the deck, laughing and having drinks.  Ms. Juan and I bonded instantly over a bottle of vodka.  That we ended up mixing with old wine coolers.  Just for the record... That is NOT a good combination. 

The next morning, dear, sweet Uncle Corleone woke everyone up to the sound of a bullhorn at about 7 a.m.  But, since he doesn't scare me, I just gave him a dirty look, rolled back over and went back to sleep.  There were NO Goombas--I was not waking up at the crack of dawn! 

Later in the day, my other brother, Law-Man arrived in town, unfortunately without Mrs. Law-Man, but I guess we will take him anyway.  Even more exciting, around lunch time, Auntie Mets came and totally surprised the pants off of the Papa. 

It was loud, there was lots of food and there was even more beverage.  And the official party hadn't even started yet! 

That evening we went to a local restaurant and sat in a private area to celebrate 60 years of the Papa.  The booze flowed like wine and we all shared our favorite memories.  For some reason, most of the memories somehow came back around to Don Juan's childhood antics.... not sure how that happened, but ok.  Now, it could have been the rum talking, but I did get a little teary-eyed when I gave my toast to dad.  I mean, after all, Daddy, I really am so lucky to have turned out "just like you." 

By Sunday, everyone was stuffed full of food and trying to ease their hangovers with some "hair of the dog."  I hated to leave so soon, but alas, the Goombas and Bowser needed me.  I was so happy to have spent the weekend with family that I don't get to see very often.  Really, in short, I think the best way to describe it is simple:  A good time was had by all. 

Cheers!  Happy Birthday, Daddy! 
Love,
Daisy

ps--there's your blog, Uncle Corelone!  And Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.  The end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment