I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Short Story

We just spent a really nice afternoon playing Family Edition Trivial Pursuit with the Goombas.  A difficult question came up for the kids, so I made up a multiple choice for them.  It was something about an author that wrote a series of mystery books for kids.  So, I gave the Goombas 4 choices:  a) Cam Jansen, b) Nancy Drew, c)Alex Rider, d) the Hardy Boys. 

After the game (which the Goombas dominated), Mario said, "Hey Mom, were those other books real?" 

"Yes!" I replied.  "Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys were old mystery books.  They were introduced in the late 20s and became really popular with young readers in the 50s and 60s."

"Ok.  How would you even know about something like that?" my inquisitive child asked me.

"I read them when I was a kid."

"But how could you even find such an old book before you had the internet?"

Wah, wah, waaaaaaaahhhhh....

"Well, there USED to be these things called card catalogs in the library..."  And before I could even finish, my beloved Mario said,

"I mean, I didn't even realize you were around in the 50s and 60s!"

Double WAH, WAH, WAAAAAAAHHHHHH.

Thanks, Mario.  I love you.

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment