I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lovely Afternoon

We are having a rare moment in our house right now. I am almost afraid to write this, because I don't want to mess up the perfection of the last 45 minutes.

After a crazy morning at the library, we came home and had lunch. Picture chicken nuggets and ketchup everywhere. Also, yogurt dripping from the table. Peach was crying, Luigi was screaming about how he hates chicken nugs, and Mario said this was all soooo boring. I thought we were in for another one of "those" afternoons.

I put Peach down for her nap. Luigi said he wanted to go out and play. Mario said he wanted to sit and read his book from the library. And lo and behold...everyone did just that without a fuss!

When I first realized that things were going so well, I of course panicked. This never happens. Someone must be dead. Or missing. So, I ran outside to check on Luigi. He was sitting quietly, burying Thomas in the sandbox. I ran upstairs to check on Mario. He was lying on the floor reading his book. I sneaked into Peach's room. She was still breathing and sleeping like an angel.

I am trying to sit and savor the moment. I know it is fleeting. I have actually used this time to answer emails without interruption. I actually got to look at a website and *gasp* place an order! One of the kitties is actually curled up on my lap purring.

Oh sweet, sweet silence! But, now, creeping up on me is that weird feeling when things are just TOO good. You know the one? When you just know things are not going to last and you can't stop yourself from thinking, "how much time do I have left?" Could be a minute, could be an hour. Dare I actually pick up my book and start reading? Do I venture to pick up the phone and make a call to a long lost friend? The Mommy side of me knows that if I even attempt to do something like read or talk on the phone, that the Goombas will sense it and all h-e-double-hockey-sticks will break loose once again.

So, I will sit here and continue to surf on the web and not disturb the Force that is creating this awesome hour of sanity. Looks like there might be hope for the summer after all.

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment