I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Four Months Later...

They say the average person forgets about and gives up on their New Year's Resolutions after 3 months. Not sure who "they" are, but "they" sure seem to know a lot about everything, so I guess "they" must be right. We are now in April, well into the Spring, so I thought I would check up on myself and see how my resolutions are going...

Resolution #1-Learn to let go of the little things. I am a perpetual worry-wart. It's time I learn to let things go. I also tend to overreact just a teensy, tiny bit over little issues. Not anymore! The new and improved Daisy is going to let go of the little things and learn to live life without the drama!


Am I letting go of the little things? Sure. I let go of the dishes and let them sit in the sink all weekend. It only drove me a little crazy. I also let go of the laundry. Mt. Washmore is back and this time, he wants revenge. I am proud to say, though, that I am not freaking out as much over things. My new motto has become, "It is what it is." I'm kind of liking it this way...


Resolution #2-I am going to lose the baby weight. Did you know that losing weight is the number one resolution in this country? And that most people make it about 3 months before they give it up? Not me. Bowser and I are heading to Vegas for our 10-year wedding anniversary this summer to renew our vows in front of Elvis the way God intended. And we are going to look good when we do it.


Hmmm....right now I am debating if I should be honest with you, or if I should shield you from the truth with a fictional story about my weight loss journey. Ok, fine. The truth is... No. I have not lost a single pound. In fact, there is a good possibility that I have actually found a couple extras. I really do want to lose weight. I do. Eventually... After I finish off the ice cream in the freezer...

Resolution #3-I am finally going to learn how to budget money. I tend to, ummm...how shall I say this? I tend to overspend like Lady Gaga in the Wild Costume Shop. I must get this under control. I want to go to Vegas this summer and I desperately want to go to New York in June for my aunt's wedding. If I don't learn to save some cash-ola, that ain't gonna happen.

I am actually doing ok with this one. I have passed up several "want" items and I am MOSTLY sticking with NEEDS. Like the new purse that I NEEDED from Target a couple of weeks ago. But, I passed on the matching shoes that I WANTED. See! Progress!

Resolution #4-Get this house in order. Organization is another top 5 resolution. But, I really have to get with it on this one. When the Zaz was here last week, she helped me clean out and organize my closet. What an awesome feeling! Who knew there was a cozy, carpeted floor in the bottom of my closet? I sure didn't! It was an inspiration and I am ready to tackle the rest of the house. In baby-steps. After all, God didn't create the universe in a day...I can't expect to make miracles happen in a day, either.

I am proud to say that this is the one resolution I am truly sticking with. My closet is still clean. I even cleaned out the basement and held a garage sale! that is a HUGE step for me! (Especially since I despise garage sales.) I got rid of a lot of clutter. Of course, there are still piles in every room, but I made a dramatic difference in my closet, the basement and the laundry room. I am happy with that and I fully intend to keep organizing.

Resolution #5-Last, but not least, I am going to stop yelling so much. My poor Goombas are only going to have memories of a red-faced, high-pitched, high-decibel mother shrieking at them. I prefer for them to not always to think of me like that. As with Resolution #1, I am going to let go of the small stuff. They are children after all. A few extra moments for a snuggle here and there will probably do us all a world of good.

Unfortunately, this has been my least successful. I find myself yelling a lot. I yell to be heard over the noise. I yell to get my point across. I yell because I am tired and cranky and just plain spent from the day. I am just going to have to blame it on the fact that I come from a large, Italian, New York family. That's just how we talk to each other. ...sigh... Alas, my children will be lying on a therapists couch someday, paying thousands of dollars to figure out why the only thing they remember about dear old mom is the sound of her voice at 800 decibels. On the positive side...I have been more liberal with those snuggles and kisses that I mentioned in the resolution.

So, although it isn't perfect, I think I have done fairly well so far this year. And, I still have 8 more months to work on it, before I need new resolutions.

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment