I realize that it is only mid-July right now, but I have to tell you, I am already counting days till school starts again. Don't get me wrong, I love summer break. We have had a lot of nice lazy mornings, sleeping in till almost 8 a.m. (which is almost unheard of in our house!), we have enjoyed days where we didn't have to rush to be anywhere at any certain time, and all of that is very nice and good. I remember being Mario's age and being so sad when summer would come to an end, but, my mother would practically be happy dancing around the house as the final countdown began in August. Mom, I totally get it now. I love the Goombas, but for the love of all things holy, I need some time away from them! Plus, all three of the kiddos have always loved and thrived on a schedule. That just doesn't happen so well during the summer.
Our vacation time has actually been going fairly well up until recently. Over the past few days I have started to notice signs that it is time for the summer season to show some mercy and come to an end. Here they are, in random order...
The Top 10 Signs Summer Needs to Come to an End...
10. You have watched all 100 episodes of Blue's Clues on Netflix MORE THAN ONCE, and you are starting to want to move your relationships with both Steve and Joe to the next level. You already have some interesting places to hide the "clues."
9. You have gone through 3 Slip n' Slides, 2 blow-up pools, 4 bottles of sunscreen, a bottle of bug spray, 438 gallons of bubble solution, and 18 packages of sidewalk chalk. And you still have a month to go.
8. You can really only grill hot dogs so many times before no one ever wants to see one again.
7. If you hear the words "but I'm so bored!" one more time, you are going to have to be locked away at the Funny Farm.
6. You are starting to consider just putting all of your fighting kids into one room just to see who comes out alive, rather than break up ANOTHER fight.
5. Your kids refuse to go to sleep before the last bit of sunshine has gone, and they wake up at the first ray of light in the morning. At least in the winter you can put them to bed at 5 p.m. because it is already dark out and they can't tell time yet.
4. Everyone has all kinds of weird suntan lines all over their bodies, and there is always that ONE little spot on the kids, where you missed the sunscreen, and of course they get a crazy sunburn on that spot.
3. You have given up and given in and don't even swat away the mosquitoes anymore. Resistance is futile.
2. You are looking longingly at your jeans, sweaters and boots in your closet, because you realize that tank-tops just aren't looking so hot anymore.
1. Even your 8-year-old gets excited when he sees the back to school signs out at Target.
Only about a month to go, Mommies. We can do this. And on the first day back, breakfast margaritas at my place.