I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-Changes...

The Goombas are growing up. There is just no denying it. I went through all of their drawers and closets a couple of weeks ago, to get rid of the evidence that they used to be smaller than they are now. I sometimes take for granted that they are not my adorable little babies anymore. They now have their own opinions ("I will NOT wear that dress, I want the JAMMINS dress!), thoughts ("I think it is time you stop treating me like the 'kids' and let me do whatever I want), and feelings ("I hate you! I am so mad I will NOT clean up my puzzles!). I'll let you guess which comment belongs to which Goomba. But, sometimes, that change sneaks up on a Mommy and kicks you in the stomach when you least expect it.

For instance, without warning, about two weeks ago, Peach decided that her new favorite television show is Dora the Explorer. We had never even watched Dora, but suddenly it was all she wanted. No more Word World. Apparently, we have grown beyond the animals made of letters, and have moved on to the psychotic map and object eating backpack. Well, at least I have an entire new set of songs to get stuck perpetually in my head.

Luigi also switched modes on me very quickly. While we still practically worship the trains, Lightning McQueen and crew are making more and more appearances. Also, my darling boy has started imitating his brother more. Luigi used to be excited about school. Now it is "boring," and "dumb," and "fine, whatever, I guess I'll go if I have to." Hmmm...I believe I have heard this all somewhere before.

But, the one that really got me was Mario. Just this morning, we were having a rare moment alone at the breakfast table. He looked up at me and said, "I want you to know that I have decided to call you Mom now. When I say Mommy it makes me sound like a baby. I don't want to hurt your feelings, because I know you really like Mommy, but I think it is time for me to start calling you Mom. And Dad will be Dad." I looked at my sweet, first-born child, who was looking at me earnestly, as though if I told him no, he would still call me Mommy just to spare my feelings. "That is ok," I told him. "I like Mom, too. And you are right, you are getting older, so Mom works just fine for me." He smiled and said, "Thanks, Mom, I knew you would understand," and dove back into his chocolate chip waffles.

And just like that, I have gone from Mommy to Mom. And the changes just keep coming...

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment