I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Every Life is Precious

I really have been struggling the last few days on whether or not I should write this post, but, at this point, I feel it is worth talking about. This is not a lecture on abortion, as it might seem in my title. This is simply a short message on how precious life really is.

My very, very dear friend, lost her sweet nephew on Sunday morning. He was born at only 23 weeks gestation and was given a 10% chance of survival. The little man put up a good fight, until he succumbed on Sunday morning to pneumonia and God called him home. My heart is breaking for my friend and her family. I can't help but think of the age-old, unanswered question, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" I can only think that God must have needed a very special angel in Heaven to help Him watch over others.

As this was happening, my Goombas have been home sick. Of course they did their usual complaining, whining, and needing. Normally, this would have sent me over the edge and caused me to down a box of wine to drown out the noise. But, yesterday, instead of snapping at them, I decided to hold them all a little closer, for just a little longer. How lucky am I that all they had was a slight fever and some sniffly noses? Other mothers around the world are dealing with far worse, I can handle a "just-a-virus" for a few days.

Too many of us take for granted the fact that our kids are healthy. In the past year, besides my friend that just lost her nephew, I know a mother whose baby boy is battling leukemia, another mother that suffered a miscarriage, and one that delivered her baby at 30 weeks and had to endure test after test in the NICU for 10 weeks. Sure, we all have our rough moments, but all-in-all, most of us are fairly lucky to only have to deal with the occasional sniffle or broken arm.

So, today, instead of yelling at your kids for being too loud, or punishing over a glass of spilled milk, hug them instead. Tell them how much you love them, even when they aren't perfect. Giggle with them about a silly show. Leave the clothes in the dryer so you can push them on the swing for an extra minute. Cook them macaroni and cheese for dinner for the 6th time this week because they love it. Read them that extra story they beg for at bedtime. And pray for the babies that can't do those things and for their mothers, who wish they could.

Love,
Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment