I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mommy Freedom!

Peach starts preschool tomorrow. I can't believe it! Do you have any idea what this means??? It means that after 8 years of being home with my Goombas day in and day out, I will finally have 4 afternoons a week of Mommy Freedom!!!

I'm just going to be honest with you here. Some people have asked me if I am sad that my "baby" will be heading off to school. And my answer is a big, fat NO. Allow me to explain...

There is a big difference between nostalgia and sadness. Nostalgia is a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time. Am I feeling a little "nostaligic" that my babies will all be in school? Of course I am! I miss those little bundles of baby burritos that used to lay all sleepy in my arms. And, I would be lying if I said that I sometimes didn't wistfully look back on those times and wish I had just one more moment. But, I would also be lying if I said that I was SAD to be where we are now.

I have no reason to be sad that Peach is going to school. In fact, I am very excited for her. When we went to meet her teacher today, she ran into the room, found her cubby right away and sat down to create a lovey piece of art. She was the sad one when I told her it was time to go home and that she would have to wait until tomorrow to come back for her class. Let's not forget that Peach has two older brothers that are both in school. Why wouldn't she want to go? She is thrilled at the prospect of being a "big girl," and I am thrilled for her.

Also, and let's just really get down to the nitty-gritty here. I have been a Stay-At-Home-Mom for 8 years now. EIGHT YEARS. That is a long time to spend your days wiping butts, looking for lost lovies, and filling sippy cups over and over and over and over again. Please do not misunderstand. I LOVE being home with the Goombas. I love that I have been here for every minute of their lives thus far. But, for the love of all things holy, it is about time I get a break and head to the grocery store ON MY OWN! It's time to let these kiddos explore the world outside of the nest, so that I can maybe (just maybe) get that nest back into some sort of order.

So, tomorrow, you will find me holding dear Peach's hand as I walk her into the classroom and take her picture by her new cubby. I will kiss her little, curly head and tell her I love her, I will see her soon and to have fun. And then, you will find me racing home again, to lie like a vegetable on my couch for 2 1/2 hours, with a beer in my hand, listening to the completely blissful sound of SILENCE! Hello, Freedom, I am looking forward to getting to know you again!

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment