I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Oh Really Charlotte?

Recently, I was able to go see the new Sex and the City movie with some great friends. It was a lovely afternoon that included a chick flick, a nice quiet lunch and a strawberry martini. I always jump at the chance for an afternoon to feel like I have a life again, so this was a perfect opportunity.

I was thoroughly enjoying the movie and all the fabulous clothes and grown-up girl talk it had to offer. And who doesn't love Aidan? Oooh, he was my very favorite part of the entire series and I was ticked off when Carrie dumped him. Not that I would turn down some time with Mr. Big, but Aidan was always more my type. That sweet smile... Those eyes with the perfect crinkles around the sides... And his hands. Did you ever look at that man's hands? Beautiful. Wait... Slow down, Daisy. This blog is about Mommy stuff, not handsome movie stars like the charming man that plays Aidan. Now back to the subject at hand...

**Note** This is NOT a spoiler, however, if you really don't want to know anything about the movie before you see it, I would not read any further.

During the movie, the women head to Abu Dhabi on a business trip for Samantha. While there, Charlotte and Miranda have a "bonding moment" over martinis about being a Mom. Charlotte is overwhelmed, Miranda is overwhelmed. They discuss how difficult being a Mommy really is. In this scene (as in almost every scene) they are wearing Manolo Blahniks and drinking expensive liquor. They are also at a resort in Abu Dhabi without kids. And I could not help but think to myself, "Really, Charlotte? Really, Miranda? Really???"

First, let me say that I realize this is a fictional movie about fictional characters. But, I really feel like they put this scene in the movie for all the Moms out there. And I appreciate that. But, really. Couldn't we have made it just a tiny bit more realistic?

Let's start with the fact that both Charlotte and Miranda have LIVE-IN NANNIES. Yes, you read that correctly. Charlotte has 2 children with a live-in nanny. Miranda has 1 child and her mother-in-law lives with them. Basically a live-in nanny. And they complain about how much work being a Mom is. Hmmm... If I had a person that lived in my house whose entire job was to look after my children all day that would be so awe-- Oh wait, we do have that person, and it is ME! And I don't get paid. So, darling Charlotte, although you are my fave SATC friend, I am just a bit PO'd that you say it is so difficult to be with your kids.

Now I feel like I MUST move on to the fact that they are always dressed like supermodels. I am lucky if I get out of the house with a clean t-shirt and jeans that don't make my tush look like 10 pounds of sausage stuffed in a 5 pound sack. And that is on a good day. Imagine what the bad days look like. Actually, don't. I don't want you to have nightmares later. The point is, no wonder you girls are miserable! I would be sad, too, if I were wearing a very expensive, WHITE, designer skirt and my kid put red hand prints on my butt. Give yourself a break, dear! The first lesson in the Mommy Handbook of Life is that you can NEVER wear white again. It's just not gonna happen. Wearing white is like putting a target on your body that says "Please, put your grubby, sticky, sullied hands right HERE!" Wear some regular clothes and maybe you won't find yourself crying in the closet over cupcakes. (Or maybe you will, because you are having a pork chop moment, but at least you won't have a ruined skirt.)

And another thing for the child-bearing half of SATC...since when do Moms get to go away for week-long vacations to Abu Dhabi without the kids??? I am lucky when I get a night away to go swoon over Ashton Kutcher (or Aidan, as in this case) in his latest movie. And on the rare occasion that I get a weekend away for scrapbooking, Bowser makes me feel like I owe him a medal of honor and a month's worth of servitude. I can't imagine what you owe your husbands for an entire week away.

Yes, Ladies, being a Mom is hard, but I am starting to believe that the creator of your characters does not know much about it. Of all the Moms I know, none of us have nannies, none of us wear clothes with designer labels (unless that label is Target or Old Navy), and none of us can escape for a week's worth of pricey drinks in another country.

That being said, I will also say thank you, for talking about the toughness of motherhood in such a popular movie. Not everyone understands that being a SAHM is actually WORK and that we don't always love every single, snot-filled, poopy-diapered, temper-tantruming minute of it. It is nice to see that acknowledged on the big screen. You get an "A" for effort. Plus, I have to admit...I'm a little jealous. You ladies can bring your fancy drinks and shoes to my house for a vent session any time!

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment