I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Cinderella Story

I recently had a wonderful evening with my daughter. While all the boys were camping, Peach and I had a girlie weekend all to ourselves. After dinner that evening, I asked if she wanted to watch a princess movie. "Pincess, uh-huh!" Oh what glee!!! She seemed kind of excited, too. This was the moment I had been waiting for since I found out there were no "twig and berries" in the ultrasound. I finally had my little girl and we were going to share the love of Disney fairytales together.

I popped in the DVD and Peach and I snuggled up on the couch and settled in to watch Cinderella, which of course, we all know is by far the BEST of the princess movies. Peach seemed to enjoy the movie, especially the mice and the birds. She laughed hysterically when Lucifer tried to catch Gus Gus and missed him. Then her attention started to fade. Oh sure, she still watched bits and pieces, but she also started chasing Koopa Troopa 2 around the living room. I, on the other hand, was riveted to the television.

I forgot how much I love this movie, but also how stressed out it can make me. Allow me to explain... The movie is great. It is the quintessential dream of every girl to escape their evil upbringing and marry a handsome prince. I love it. But, I gotta tell ya, when Stepmother follows Cinderella up the stairs and locks her in her tower room, I kind of freak out. Ok, I know what is going to happen, but I swear to you, every single time I watch this movie, I am terrified that the mice won't get the key up the stairs in time.

So, here is how it went down when I watched it with Peach the other night. As I said, she lost interest and started chasing KT 2 around. I kept my eyes fixated on the screen. She needed milk. Despite the fact that I have seen this movie about 2,465 times, I still had to pause it in case I missed a critical moment. Then she wanted "uppies" on the couch, then down, then uppies, then down.... Meanwhile, I am biting my fingernails because Lucifer caught Gus Gus under the cup at the top of the stairs just as he was about to slip the key under the door. In an effort to keep Peach quiet and occupied, I painted her toenails. Then, AAAAAAAUUUUGHHHH!!! Stepmother tripped the idiot footman and the glass slipper broke! I realized at this point that I am a 31-year-old woman holding my breath over the fact that Cinderella might not get her prince. Because we all know how movies just spontaneously change if you haven't watched them in a while.

Then, finally, a sigh of relief. Cinderella made it downstairs just before the Duke left and luckily she still had the other slipper in her pocket to prove she was the Prince's true love. Whew! That was close. I looked at Peach and said, "Did you like the princess movie?" She, in turn, looked at me like she suddenly knew she was going to have a lot of crazy to deal with throughout her years at home.

All in all, it was really a lovely evening with my sweet little girl. A mommy, her daughter and a suspenseful movie about a princess. Does life get any better?

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment