I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Saying Good-bye

Today was a rough day in our little Mario world.  We lost our dear Koopa Troopa 1.  Our poor little kitty was getting old and over the past couple of weeks, seemed to go downhill fast.  Over the weekend, she stopped grooming herself, stopped using her litter box, stopped eating and drinking, and couldn't move her back legs well.  I took her to the vet today, who confirmed that KT1 was, indeed, very sick.  So sick, in fact, that her little kidneys were failing her. 

Koopa Troopa 1 was a tough cat.  We adopted her from the shelter when Bowser and I were first married.  I had a bond with her from the very beginning.  We walked into the shelter and there were so many cats looking for a home, but she caught my eye and I knew she was meant to be mine. She was a great mouser and within a week of having her at home, we had no more mice bothering us. Since I didn't have a job at the time, KT1 and I spent all of our time together.  There was one particular incident when KT1 was drinking out of my water glass one night and Bowser convinced me that I should not drink after her because I would catch the Plague.  (Really, it is a long story, involving no sleep for me and an almost 3 a.m. emergency call to the vet to check for the Plague.)

Once we brought Mario home, KT1 seemed a little ticked off that she wasn't getting my undivided attention all the time.  But, over time, she and Mario became good friends.  She was the first to elicit crazy baby giggles from Mario when he was about 6 months old.  He thought she was the greatest thing since a fresh bottle, and she didn't seem to think he was too bad either. 

She came with us when we moved into our new house.  When Mario was diagnosed with a severe cat allergy, I sent her to live with a friend for about a year and a half.  Once our friend couldn't take care of her anymore, we decided Mario could get allergy shots and Koopa Troopa 1 came home to stay.  Luigi came along eventually, and then Peach.  Each of them loved her from the beginning, and she loved having a snuggly crib to sleep in during the day. 

KT1 would patiently wait for me on the couch every night and then follow me up the stairs when I went to bed.  She would curl up at me feet while I dozed off.  Sometime in the night, I would feel a warm, soft, little paw tapping on my arm, asking to be pet.  If I didn't wake up when she patted my arm, she would move up and pat and lick my face til I rubbed her ears and we would both fall back to sleep. 

Almost three years ago, Koopa Troopa 2 came to live with us.  I'll admit, KT1 was not happy at first.  She was set in her ways.  She didn't want a new little kitten coming in and messing up her good thing.  After one fight, though, KT2 learned her place and she and the old kitty became friends. 

It was only recently that she started to seem different.  Over the past few days, I knew she was sick.  I knew she was hurting.  I would pick her up and hold her and she would lie in my arms, struggling to even purr.  Today I wrapped her in a baby blanket, took her to the vet and had to make the incredibly difficult and heart-wrenching decision to let her go.  I held her the entire time, petting her and scratching her on the ears, like she loved so much.  I told her I was sorry and that it was going to be ok.  I told her she was the best cat ever.  And then she was gone. 

The Goombas all cried with me a while when I told them.  We talked about how she was with Jesus and the angels now, with all the other angel kitties and puppies.  We asked Jesus to take special care of her.  At dinner tonight we told funny stories and our favorite things about our Koopa Troopa 1.  Koopa Troopa 2 has been wandering around, looking for her friend.  I am sitting on the couch, writing this blog, missing my soft, purring kitty, who would normally be sitting somewhere close by. 

I am trying right now not to doubt my decision.  She was in great pain.  I could see in her big, green eyes that she was hurting.  I know it was best for her, I just can't seem to make my heart believe it. 

Cheers, my dear Benni.  I miss you so much already.  I love you and I will meet you someday on the Rainbow Bridge.

Love,
Daisy

1 comment:

  1. So, so sorry about your Benni. There is a beautiful picture book called Cat Heaven by Cynthia Rylant. My kids still ask me to read it and talk about our Allie cat we had to say goodbye to over a year ago. We all love it. Hugs, friend.
    Beth Thaler

    ReplyDelete