I had a mind once. Now I have small children.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

'Tis the Season Part 1

I am about to venture out to the mall. With two small children. Less than 3 weeks before Christmas. Someone please examine my head.

I usually have all my shopping done by this point, but for some reason, this year, I just couldn't seem to get my, um, stuff, together. So, now I am going to have to go with all the crazy people and do my shopping with the two littlest Goombas.

Here is the thing... Everyone always says, "Oh, 'tis the season! Warm hearts! The season of Giving! Love and peace fill the Earth! Jingle Bells and Oh Holy Night, isn't it grand!" But, then, you get to the mall or store and all you find are these maniacal shoppers that are grabbing and giving dirty looks and pushing you out of the way to get to the sale rack first. Not very warm and giving if you ask me.

It amazes me how commercialized Christmas has become. So commercialized, in fact, that there were Christmas decorations up in Target BEFORE Halloween? What the WHAT? Hallmark brought out their ornament collection in AUGUST! Really? I mean, I know there is a song that says, "I wish it could be Christmas all year long..." but how much fun would that really be? I shudder to think of it.

The worst part is that if you don't buy into it, you are some kind of Scrooge. What? You don't put up your tree mid-October? Scrooge! You don't shop on Black Friday? Scrooge! You don't spend thousands of dollars on each child's gifts? Scrooge! Somewhere in all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, the true meaning has been lost. Jesus and Santa are not happy campers, I'm sure.

Ok, now, I am off my soapbox. And I'm loading the Goombas into the van to head to a Christmas Shopping Wonderland. I'm wearing my spikey-heeled boots just in case I need a weapon. And I'm kind of thinking a shot of whiskey in my coffee wouldn't hurt either...

Stay tuned for an update on how the day turns out...

Cheers!
~Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment